Have skill and a passion for Apologetics? Impact your world by learning how to present I Don’t Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist, Tactics, Stealing From God, Cold Case Christianity, God’s Crime Scene, and evidence from other outstanding presentations! Attend the Tenth Annual CrossExamined Instructor Academy (CIA) taking place on August 10-12, 2017 at North Dallas Community Bible Fellowship Church, 2801 E. President George Bush Hwy, Plano, TX 75074.
Why do we conduct the CrossExamined Instructor Academy (CIA)?
As you know, 75% of churched youth leave the church after high school. Intellectual skepticism is a major reason they leave, much of which they get at college. This will be the last Christian generation in America unless the Body of Christ acts immediately.
CrossExamined.org exists to engage primarily colleges, but also high school campuses and churches, with a reasonable and engaging case for Christianity. We do that by conducting I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist seminars at college, high schools, churches and other venues to which we are invited. Due to the magnitude of the problem, we are training a team of other qualified people to do this as well. That’s why we have established the CIA.
What is the CrossExamined Instructor Academy?
CIA is an intense three-day program where you will learn how to present I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist—which involves four main topics: Truth, God, Miracles and the New Testament—and how to answer questions about those topics in a hostile environment. During those three days, in addition to hearing lectures and participating in discussions, you will be asked to present a portion of I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist and answer questions from several instructors including Frank Turek, Greg Koukl, Richard Howe, J.Warner Wallace, Brett Kunkle, Sean McDowell, Bobby Conway and others.
What is new about the 2017 CrossExamined Instructor Academy?
After eight years of conducting CIA in Charlotte, and last year in California, we are taking the tenth CIA to the center of the country near Dallas, Texas! This will allow those anywhere in the US to attend more easily. Pastor Terren Dames and his team are great hosts and have a fabulous facility in the same parking lot of two hotels. So this might be the most convenient CIA ever!
Helping you improve your presentation skills is a central focus of CIA. The small class size and personal attention will also provide you with additional benefits including the opportunity to learn new content, go deeper into the arguments, and to ask questions of some of the best apologists in the world.
Who teaches at the Academy?
In 2016, our teaching team will be:
And an instructor to be named later!
Since the CIA class is deliberately kept small, this will be a unique opportunity for you to be instructed personally by some of the world’s best Christian apologists. Don’t miss out. Apply now!
What are the qualifications?
CIA is not a course where beginners learn apologetics, but a place where those with a solid foundation have their skills deepened and sharpened. It is NOT necessary to have a degree in apologetics or philosophy, but you should have a good working knowledge of the material. If you have good presentation skills, that will help too (CIA will improve those as well).
How can I prepare?
The Essentials: Don’t just read or listen, but study and outline our book, I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist. This can be purchased along with the 12-show DVD series called Why I Still Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist at impactapologetics.com. At that same link, you can get the student workbook and teacher workbook that goes along with the DVD set. Those workbooks are great for teaching the material to a class or small group, but the full I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist curriculum goes much deeper. You need the curriculum because it supplements and updates the book, even if you just use the workbooks to teach.
Also read, outline and study Frank Turek’s new Stealing from God: Why Atheists need God to make their case, Greg Koukl’s Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions (the DVD version is available at STR.org), and J. Warner Wallace’s Cold Case Christianity. In addition, each week listen to the STR, William Lane Craig, J. Warner Wallace, and CrossExamined podcasts.
There are several other important works you should read or have for reference:
-Lee Strobel: The Case for the Real Jesus; The Case for Faith; The Case for the Creator (these are great because you get the main arguments from the best scholars)
-William Lane Craig: Hard Questions, Real Answers; God: A Debate Between a Christian and an Atheist; Reasonable Faith, On Guard.
– William Dembski: Evidence for God (with Mike Licona); Intelligent Design Uncensored (with Jonathan Witt)
– Paul Copan: Is God a Moral Monster?
– Timothy J. Koegel: The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room
– Norman L. Geisler: The Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics, Answering Islam, When Critics Ask (This book may now be called The Big Book of Bible Difficulties.)
– You also will need to be familiar with the works of the popular atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens.
During CIA, we are not going to present all portions of the presentation to you. We are going to spend more time helping you with presentation skills and how to answer questions. However, you will be asked to present a short portion of I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist. As a result, you’ll want to get the Why I still Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist TV series on DVD and the PowerPoint from impactapologetics.com. Then practice presenting 15 minutes of it from any section of the presentation you want. (More details will come if you are accepted to CIA.).
What happens after completing CIA?
We would like you to present I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist wherever you can get invited—your church, youth groups, middle and high schools and anywhere else people will hear you. Bloom where you are planted! You will also become part of the CIA network of instructors that gives you exclusive access to our email forum where you can ask questions and exchange ideas about apologetics, Christianiity and related topics.
CrossExamined is not a speaker agency–we don’t schedule speaking opportunites for you. However, we are looking for seasoned apologists that CrossExamined may call on to present I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist on college campuses or other venues. CIA will help us identify potential candidates, but attending CIA does not guarantee you will be offered such opportunites. If after attending CIA you are interested in speaking when such opportunities arise, then you may submit your name for consideration.
When is the next CIA training program?
August 10-12, 2017 in Plano, TX. To be notified of this and future CIA programs, join our mailing list.
Where do I apply?
Click here to apply by June 25, 2017.
How much is tuition?
Tuition for the three-day program is $795. Graduates of previous CIA classes may attend for $400. This fee includes course notebook, lunches each day, dinner one night, and the non-refundable application fee of $25. See application above for details and the possibility of financial aid.
What about lodging and transportation?
This year we will stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Plano/Dallas-East.
- We have reserved a block of 40 queen and king rooms at the rate of $99/night.
- Reservations must be made by July 13, 2017 at midnight. The group rate is not guaranteed after this date.
- Click here to make a reservation (use Group Code “CIA” when booking the room)
- Call 972-509-4500 to make a reservation
- Amenities include
- Complimentary shuttle service within 5 miles of hotel
- Complimentary hot breakfast
- Complimentary high speed internet access
- Mini-fridge and microwave in every room
- 24-hour workout facility
- Large gathering areas indoors and outdoors
- Outdoor pool and putting green
- There is a 72 hour cancellation policy on all individual reservations for any change in the arrival date or reservation cancellation. Should a guest call after the 72 hour cancellation period, a charge of one night’s room and tax will be applied before reservation will be changed or cancelled.
Restaurants in the area?
- CityLine brings the best parts of the city closer to you. Enjoy exciting dining and entertainment options in a fresh and convenient urban environment near the intersection of President George Bush Turnpike and Central Expressway. You will love the urban design, array of unique events and exciting activities geared toward an active lifestyle.
- Urban Crust
- Very cool building in downtown Plano with a rooftop open patio. A local favorite know for great pizza and pasta dishes and their Caesar salad is wonderful!
- Urban Rio
- Known for their chicken stuffed avocado that is supposed to be excellent and they have gelato for dessert!
- Love & War in Texas
- A great BBQ/Texas Roadhouse kind of place with live music some nights.
- Lockhart Smoke House
- A great local option!
There are also many chain restaurants in the area (ie. Potbelly sandwiches, McAllister’s, Chipotle, Genghis Grill, Corner Bakery, Chick-fil-A, etc.).
Don’t forget! The hotel also has a gas grill out by the heated pool. Guests can run to Tom Thumb (the closest grocery store to the hotel), pick up some burgers, and relax by the pool while perfecting their game at the putting green!
What if I have other questions?
If you have any questions, please drop us an e-mail at JGil@crossexamined.org or contact us via the Contact page. We hope to see you at our next CIA training program!
Free CrossExamined.org Resource
Get the first chapter of "Stealing From God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case" in PDF.