The Wisdom Chronicle is designed to bring nuggets of wisdom from the dozens of books I read every year. I endeavor to share the best of what I have gleaned. The determination of relevance lies with you. Blessings, J. Whiddon
- START YOUR DAY “The great nineteenth-century British preacher Charles Spurgeon believed that only a fool would fail to post a guard on the gate of the day. “It should be our rule never to see the face of men before first seeing the face of God,” Spurgeon said. “The morning watch anchors the soul so that it will not very readily drift far away from God during the day. He who rushes from his bed to his business without first spending time with God is as foolish as though he had not washed or dressed, and as unwise as one dashing to battle without arms or armor.”
Excerpt From: DeMoss, Mark. “The Little Red Book of Wisdom.”
- AMERICA’S RICHEST MAN….puts faith up against a quantifiable return on investment. “Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient,” Bill Gates said. “There is a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.”
- GETTING OLDER “One of the blessings of maturity is that it sometimes brings one greater courage to be truthful, regardless of what those who do not understand, may think or say.”
Excerpt From: Hill, Napoleon. “Think and Grow Rich.”
- CULTURE WITHOUT GOD “The further individuals and societies stray from a biblical morality, the more they decline in a common-sense approach to life. That’s why there are so many examples of people exhibiting no common sense in our culture. We have replaced common sense with nonsense. To offset this growing lack of common sense, Jesus calls us to be counterculturalists in our response to society, much like He was during His time on earth. As society moves farther away from God’s laws, Jesus asks us to remain centered by following that moral compass residing deeply within us. Not only does this keep us from being lost, it allows people who are desperate to find their true north. There is no true north under the relativism of political correctness.”
Excerpt From: Battaglia, Joe. “The Politically Incorrect Jesus.”
675.. INTEGRITY “Always do right. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”
— M. Twain
676.. IDEAS “An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an invasion of ideas. ”
— VICTOR HUGO
- BE SAFE? “The Safe Way is a grocery store, not a way to run a business or live your life.” –Joey Reiman
678.. SEX “Sex is like nitroglycerin. It can be used either to blow up bridges or heal hearts.”
— Frederick Buechner.
- PERSEVERANCE “It’s only when you stop at failure that you really fail. Walt Disney, who was fired by an ad agency for not being able to draw. But his mission was to make the world smile. He would approach more than three hundred banks to get a loan for what many would have called a Mickey Mouse idea, but Walt Disney prevailed. The 302nd bank lent him money to build his dream.
Excerpt From: Reiman, Joey. “Thinking for a Living.”
- TROUBLE “There’s one thing to be said about inviting trouble:
it generally accepts.” —May Maloo
Free CrossExamined.org Resource
Get the first chapter of "Stealing From God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case" in PDF.